[XML-SIG] Python package name

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:49:54 +0200

> > I think everybody's opinion on this
> > matter is clear, as well, so it's a good time to make a decision :-)
>
> Could you summarize everybody's opinions?  They're not at all clear to
> me. :-)

I knew you'd ask :-) Anybody please correct me.

Guido, Fred, and Andrew think it is better to rename the module to
avoid hackery. Lars is also in favour of renaming the package.

Paul and myself think that having the same package name is good in the
long run, as it might include a lot of things in the future, but still
will have a non-obvious name (like Emacs' ever-growing tinylib).

Greg is also in favour of a single package xml, but doesn't like PyXML
completely superceding the standard one; he had the _xmlextra patch
for that (I also had a similar patch, playing with __path__). That
would allow to merge the two trees, and require less effort to
synchronize them.

There was also the position of dropping the xml package from Python 2
altogether, but I can't attribute this position to anybody right now :-)

I apologize for not listing everybody who has an opinion on the matter
- it turns out I don't actually know *everybody's* opinion. If I've
been missing an important alternative, please speak up.

Regards,
Martin