[XML-SIG] Python package name

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:00:14 -0600

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> At one point Guido clarified that xml and xmlcore could migrate to xmlplus
> and xml over time, just as long as we give people time to change and an
> upgrade path.
>
> I understood this as:
>
> pyxml gets an xmlplus alias now
> pyxml gives up xml in six months
> xmlcore gets an xml alias then
> xmlcore name is deprecated sometime later
>
> It's kind of ugly but I could live with it.
>
> If the xmlplus hack works (really works, without subtle side effects) then
> I would prefer that.

I'm really sorry to be so far AWOL on such an important topic, but we've been
running about like mad to get the next 4Suite out the door so we _can_ pay
attention to Python 1.6 and 2.0.

But a quick pip for today:  I think the above approach to package
naming/renaming is the best of all available hacks.