[XML-SIG] pyexpat v. xml.parsers.expat ?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:47:26 -0400 (EDT)

  I have a couple of questions about pyexpat.

  First question:
  At various points, Guido has commented on the strange name "pyexpat"
-- he generally doesn't like names with a "py" stuck on the front
simply because something is written in Python.
  Does anyone have an objection to renaming pyexpat _expat, and using
a Python wrapper called xml.parsers.expat?  The wrapper would only
need to import the existing interface, not wrap it with Python
classes, which would only slow things down.

  Second question:
  I'd also like to understand why the error constants are in a
sub-module, pyexpat.errors, instead of being in pyexpat itself.
pyexpat.errors is a strange little module in that you can't import it
until after you've done an "import pyexpat" -- it probably won't bite
anyone, but this doesn't really follow the least-surprise principle.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member