[XML-SIG] Changes in pyexpat.c

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:34:45 +0200

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:04:54PM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> >I'm not sure. The wstring type has been removed from CVS a while ago -
> >I don't know whether the package ever worked without any kind of
> >Unicode support.
>
> It did up to the final 0.5.x version.

That included the wstring type, didn't it? Would it support falling
back to plain strings if not even the wstring type was available?

> Then I tagged the tree with the label "v056", and began making
> 2.0-specific changes such as removing the wstring type.  (This was
> mentioned in a posting of mine to the XML-SIG, and people generally
> assented.)

I certainly agree that was the right thing to do, especially as it led
to the xml package in 2.0 as we now have it. I'm just trying to find
out whether some kind of degraded service could be offered (*), along
the lines of "it works as long as you don't care about encodings".

> Therefore, the CVS tree won't work with 2.0, and frankly I see no
                                     °°°° without?

> need to make it work with 1.5.2.

For reasons of marketing. People complain that the XML SIG does not
produce anything useful. If they'd get a chance to install "the most
recent" PyXML (which includes 4DOM) on top of 1.5.2, they might become
happy customers, and could move to Python 2 at their own pace.

If, OTOH, we tell them to use 0.5.x, we probably don't do them a
service, as they'd be on their own in case of problems.

Regards,
Martin

(*) If the answer to that is "no way", the world won't end for me :-)