[XML-SIG] I am confused!.. can I pick someones brains on pars ers?

James Tauber jtauber@bowstreet.com
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:49:51 -0400

One of the characteristics of XML is that it provides a common syntax
*regardless* of application and so a certain level of processing can be done
that is *not* application specific.

An XML parser or XSLT engine are examples of this.

Typically, however, you want to build application specific objects from your
XML. This can be done in a layered approach with a generic event-firing XML
parser connected to an application specific object builder.

If you look, for example, at the code for PyTREX (at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pytrex/pytrex.py?rev=5.0&conte
nt-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=pytrex) you'll see a series of handlers
that respond to events from the parser expat by building up application
specific objects.

Hope this helps.

James