[XML-SIG] SAX parser factories (Was: PyTRaX?)

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@home.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:10:43 -0400

I don't like make_parser() and create_parser() approach because the names
are so similar as to lead to confusion.  I do like the proposal to ask for a
list of processors that support a feature list, which ability wuld be
separate from actual parser creation.  I say a list because if more than one
had my features, I might want to choose one rather than another, not just
take whichever one the system wanted to give me.

Also, with the has_features() approach, it would be possible to keep a
simple features catalog which would avoid the need to instantiate a
processor so it could be asked if it had some feature.  If each processor
(or wrapper) could respond to a request for its features, a script could
automatically query it when it was first registered and save the data in the
catalog.  Perhaps the catalog could be in xml, more likely a dictionary
format.

The next step in this evolution could be named feature sets!

Cheers,

Tom P