[XML-SIG] RDF Parser -> PyXML

20 Apr 2001 10:56:37 +0200

* Uche Ogbuji

| Can you define "core XML"?

Well, it would have to be things that

 - use or support the XML data model (RDF fails here)
 - are not XML applications themselves (whether RDF fails here can be argued)
 - help you build XML applications and software

Catalogs, TREX, XSLT, XPath and so on all meet these criteria while
RDF does not. RDF has its own parsers, its own data model, its own
schema language, its own databases and its own everything.

To me these are strong arguments for why a separate package of RDF
functionality makes more sense than to provide parsers, object model
implementations and validators for two different data models in the
same package.

| You don't use RDF, so it's probably harder for you to see it as core
| XML.  For me, it's hard to see RDF as anything but core XML.

You are right that I don't use RDF and so may be looking at it the
wrong way, but to be honest I don't consider either RDF or topic maps
as core XML technologies or even XML technologies at all. Sure, they
use an XML serialization format, but that is the only connection apart
from that they all are used for information management.

What is, really, the connection between RDF and XML?  (I am asking for
enlightenment here. :)

| I also think that your stated standard would tend to exclude large
| parts of the current contents of PyXML.

Which ones?

--Lars M.