[XML-SIG] RDF Parser -> PyXML

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:29:39 -0400 (EDT)

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > 1. PyXML user who also uses RDF. I'd certainly appreciate if I had to
 >    install only a single package, not two - unless the release
 >    schedule for PyXML would compromise timely delivery of RDF code
 >    updates.

  Which indicates that the RDF code should be separate, at least until
it has stabilized and has good reception from users.  I don't know
where Redfoot is on the development curve.

 > 2. PyXML user who does not use RDF. I would not care if RDF code was
 >    included in PyXML, as long that does not consume an intolerable
 >    percentage of the entire package (which would be bad for download
 >    times and disk consumption).

  This is Python code; it should never be too long!  ;-)

 > 3. PyXML maintainer and packager. I appreciate contributions from
 >    whoever is willing to contribute, as long as it is open source, and
 >    as long there is willingness to maintain the contribution for the
 >    months (and years) to come. My biggest concern is that the original
 >    author runs away and leaves me with all the bug reports.

  Reinforces my comment on #1 -- don't include until it's stable.
  Perhaps the right thing to do would be to have a separate package,
with an option to consider merging it in later.  I think it would be
good to keep development discussion here -- it *is* a general XML
thing, whether or not all of us use it (we don't all use validation
either, but it's in the package).  The cross-pollination and expansion
of the set of use cases is good.  I don't mind sharing the CVS
repository, either -- CVS supports multiple modules quite well.
  Why don't we set Redfoot up as the "redfoot" CVS module and reserve
the package name xml.rdf for it?  (As in, let it require PyXML and
then install itself to ../site-package/_xmlplus/rdf/.)  If a decision
is made to keep it separate or merge it in later, there are no real
disruptions for user code.  Is this reasonable, or am I off my rocker
again?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>