[XML-SIG] Question About PCDATA Content

W. Eliot Kimber eliot@isogen.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:35:58 -0500

I have a question which may be a basic XML question, but I think is an
implementation question:

I have this data in my document:

<name>myname</name>

However, the text node that is the first child of the Element node
constructed from the name element returns

'
myname'

(note the leading newline) as the value of the data property of the text
node.

Why is there that leading newline? It's not in the data anywhere and
there are certainly no rules for adding newlines to element content or
moving them around as there are in SGML.

Is this an implementation bug or have I forgotten something essential
about XML?

Thanks,

Eliot

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m