[XML-SIG] Installing PyXML locally on virtually-hosted web space

lophty lists lists@lophty.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:31:03 -0400

I would like to install PyXML and 4Suite along side of Python 2.1.1 in
some virtually-hosted web space.  I installed Py 2.1.1 on my account
some time ago and have been running Python cgi scripts with shebang
lines pointing to this  interpreter with no problems, but I am fumbling
the PyXML installation thus far and was hoping that I could get some
advice. The (very brief) README says that the release has been tested
with Py 1.5 and 2.0, but I didn't think that this would necessarily mean
that it won't work with 2.1.1 and I'm sure that my problems have more to
do with my own cluelessness than anything else.

After ungzipping and tar -xvf'ing the PyXML-0.6.6 tar.gz, I tried
placing it into Python-2.1.1/Modules, went into the PyXML-0.6.6 dir and
did "python setup.py install".  I got the following error message :

Traceback (innermost last) :
File "setup.py", line 9, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

Needless to say, moving the PyXML-0.6.6 dir around my Python install and
trying to install didn't work.  Same error msg.

I poked around in my Python install and, sure enough, found no
distutils.core.
I did find a folder "distutils" in Python-2.1.1/Lib that contained a
file core.py, but that doesn't seem right.

Has anyone else worked through a similar situation?
I'd be grateful for any advice/help.

Thanks,
brian donovan
(on digest)