[XML-SIG] XSchema Parser

Christian Selig sledge@warptec.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:58:47 +0200

Hello!

I'm currently implementing a Web-based XML editor in Python using the
Python XML package (mainly for the DOM stuff). Thanks a lot to its
developers, it's a great package!

Now, the editor needs to know at which node it may insert which other
nodes, which nodes it has to insert because they are required etc. etc.

So I need to parse the DTD. Or the Schema. I decided to go for the
latter, because as soon as XSchema matures, DTDs will likely become
obsolete step by step. BTW, XSchema allows more complex specification of
XML structure and content grammar.

I have browsed the web for a Python-based XSchema Parser, but so far, I
have not found anything. So I started to work on an own parser and I'm
coming along quite nicely (after all, it's Python! :-). It doesn't do
that much, but it will soon.

I do that work for the company I work in (warptec) and I do not know
whether I'm allowed to 'Free' the XSchema parser, but I have given some
strong arguments to my boss. It will be decided within a couple of days.

I won't promise anything. But chances are good that I may put it under a
free license and contribute it to the PyXML project. My question is: Do
you want that code, after all? Do you think a schema parser makes sense
for the project and be something which should be part of the PyXML project?

Bye,
Christian

--
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose.
Nothing's worth nothing but it's free." (Kris Kristofferson)

Christian Selig, <sledge@warptec.com> http://www.warptec.com/