[XML-SIG] Pyana 0.2.0 released

Brian Quinlan brian@sweetapp.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:43:10 -0800

Hi Martin,

> How does that [Pyana] compare to PIRXX?

The stated goals of the two projects (to provide Python interfaces to
the Apache group's Xalan & Xerces products) are pretty similar and
J=FCrgen Hermann and I are going to coordinate to make sure that they
interoperate.

But the current statuses of the two projects are very different.=20

Right now, Pyana development is focused on providing XSLT services to
Python. There are functions to do XSLT transformations from various
sources (strings, files, URIs and reader objects). Output can be
directed to strings, files, writer objects or to a (only partially
complete) DOM. It is also possible to extend XPath with Python
functions. For a useful example script that demonstrates many of Pyana
features, take a look at:
http://pyana.sourceforge.net/examples/check_links.py

PIRXX is focused on providing Xerces XML services to Python. The current
release of PIRXX provides SAX2 interfaces but I believe that J=FCrgen is
working on DOM support.

So, right now, Pyana is probably your best bet for high-performance XSLT
processing in Python while PIRXX offers Xerces SAX2 interfaces.

Sorry me the long answer; let me know if I missed the point completely
:-)

Cheers,
Brian