[XML-SIG] Reconsidering NamespaceErr on '' and None

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:28:42 -0500

Rich Salz writes:
 > If PyXML 0.7 silently converts '' to None, then I can go back to
 >   _find_attr = lambda E, attr: E.getAttributeNS(None, attr) or \
 > 	E.getAttributeNS('', attr)
 > which has a performance hit if the attribute is not found.

  Here's an idea: the exception should be raised when attempting to
set an attribute with a namespace URI of '', but queries could allow
either:

    def getAttributeNS(self, namespaceURI, localName):
        namespaceURI = namespaceURI or None

  This isn't perfect, but would probably avoid most problems with
client code that uses ''.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>