[XML-SIG] Pyana 0.2.0 released

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:26:08 -0700

> > > I don't want to get 4suite from CVS so why don't you get Pyana:
> >
> > No.  I'm no more interested in running a benchmark between the two
> than
> > you are.  I have much better things to do, like actually working to
> > improve 4suite.  Therefore, I know better than to make such
> > unsubstantiated comments as "foo is your best bet for high-performance
> > XSLT processing".
>
> My substantiation was my personal experience a few months ago. I also
> have several user testimonials stating that they are using Pyana instead
> of 4suite for performance reasons. One actually sent me their timings,
> which [at that time] demonstrated a 41x performance edge for Pyana.
>
> But, since you are being so picky, I tested the latest Pyana release
> (0.2.0) against the latest 4suite release (0.11.1), using the test
> script that I attached in the previous e-mail*:

Hey, reading is not such a black art, you know.  I specifically said 4Suite in
current CVS.

We got 4XSLT to the point when it was about as fast as Saxon and Xalan before,
back in the 0.10.x series, but subsequent features and changes added up
significant performance hits, cuminating in the 0.11.1 release.  We went back
to optimizing for the next release, and have restored it to its prior
snappiness.

The CVS version of 4Suite is even easier to install than 0.11.1, so you must
just not want to follow my challenge...

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management