[XML-SIG] Minidom bugs/questions

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:17:47 -0700

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > The original idea of minidom was that it should be "minimal"; clearly
> > that has not worked out, so we probably should review it carefully to
> > achieve completeness (with respect to "DOM 2 Core").
>
> Well, we should think about exactly what makes minidom "mini".  It's debatable
> whether it is possible to implement all of DOM Level 2 core and still be
> "mini".  And what about DOm level 3?

I think we should also look at merging minidom and pDomlette.  Both are
supposed to be "mini" and I think they both support about the same sets
of functionality.  No sense keeping both of them around.  I can look at
the differences and try to merge them.

> > It appears to be a common trick to allow null in createDocument, so
> > that the first element found during parsing can be introduced with
> > appendChild, but that appears to be non-conforming (somebody please
> > correct me if it is).
>
> I think it is, even though 4DOM does this.  Mike or Jeremy will probably
> remind me if I'm missing something.  From what I see of the readers, we don't
> need this convenience.

It was originally there for the readers and to allow a user to create a
document with out a document type.  I don't think the readers need this
functionality any more (I'd have to look at all of them).

--
Mike Olson				 Principal Consultant
mike.olson@fourthought.com               (303)583-9900 x 102