[XML-SIG] Underdeveloped installer of the pyXML-0.6.3

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:22:23 -0500

> > MVL> Why is that? It should work just fine if you use xml.parsers.expat.
> > MVL>
> >
> > But in the automatical mode (without explicit notification) does not.
>
> Can you please elaborate? If one writes
>
> from xml.parsers import expat
>
> it works fine; the PyXML version of pyexpat is used. What is the
> automatical mode? What is explicit notification?

Adding more confusion: I recently got bitten by a really nasty
convention in Zope where you must do "import ZODB" for a side effect
it has.  (It installs a persistency implementation in another module.
If you import that other module before ZODB, it fails with a
mysterious error.)

I would hope that the standard xml package (nor PyXML) does not repeat
that trick (requiring an import for its side effect).  Factory
functions should be used, and if there's a generic factory function,
it should also have a sensible default.

I don't know enough about the xml package to be able to figure out
whether or not it engages in such tricks, and offer my apologies if
this is already taken care of!