[XML-SIG] Re: Some pyXML Bugs in PyXML 0.6.2 and 4Suite for Python 1.5.2

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@home.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:55:54 -0500

I forget to add - a lot of FT's test scripts use "import TestSuite", but
that's now at Ft.Lib.TestSuite, and I had to make a number of corresponding
import changes, too. There were a lot of them in the xpath test directory,
though I didn't make a list yet.


Tom P

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
To: <xml-sig@python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 11:52 PM
Subject: Some pyXML Bugs in PyXML 0.6.2 and 4Suite for Python 1.5.2

> I started trying out some of the demos that come with PyXML and 4Suite -
> actually I got them by downloading the source for 4Suite from the 4Suite
> server.  I've picked up some bugs.  Most, but not all, are in test or demo
> scripts, but some are in actual working modules.  I've only tried out a few
> things, so this is not comprhensive at all.
> My system is Python 1.5.2. on Windows 98, with PyXML 0.6.2.
> First, a number of modules reference the "core" module, which isn't there
> more, I assume?).  Some are tests, some are not.  I don't have a list at the
> moment, but they should be flushed out.
> Second, in xml\dom\ext\PyExpat.py, the import pyexpat statement doesn't
> an ImportError, but a NameError (seems strange).  I fixed it  like this (I
> used Exception instead of NameError, in case some other versoin should throw
> ImportError as you would expect.
> line 27:
> try:
>     #Python 2.0
>     import pyexpat
> #except ImportError:   ==>Currently this import throws NameError, not
> ImportError
> except  Exception:
>     #Python 1.x with PyXML
>     from xml.parsers import pyexpat
> I don't think this is really the way to fix it, though - there must be some
> reason I'm getting an unexpected type of exception, and that is what ought
> be fixed.
> Finally, in Ft\Xlink\XLinkElements.py, reader.fromURI() has an additional
> argument which is no longer used in the reader's parent class.  I fixed it
> like this, commenting out the extra arg so you can see it:
> line 51:
>        frag = reader.fromUri(self.href)#, doc = doc) ==> API doesn't include
> 'doc' arg
> It looks to me like there are a lot of left-over things that haven't gotten
> caught yet, and a lot of the tests haven't run for me - DOM seems OK but
> and XPointer have given problems.  They look like the kind of things that
> wouldn't have been worked for 0.6.3, but I haven't tried that yet.
> I'm not sure who shoud be putting fixes for these bugs in once they are
> on.  I'm still not getting secure access negotiated properly, so it's not
> going to be me for while yet.
> Cheers,
> Tom P