[XML-SIG] windows installer for XML package failing on Windows 95

Radestock, Guenter guenter.radestock@sap.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:36:06 +0100

Hello,

I tried to install the XML package onto a Windoze 95 box a few days ago
and it does not work.  The installer crashes without unpacking source
or opening any window.  This may be a distutils issue.

First: I can successfully unpack the executable with winzip and move
the package directory into Python20/Lib.  This seems to work, but I
am not sure if I should also patch any existing files.  Is there a script
inside the installer that I should run after unpacking?  I did not
find a setup.py; the source package won't help me because I would
have to install a compiler for the extensions, right?

Second: To get the problem (distutils or not?) fixed, I have observed
the following:

1. The installer crashes only on this one Libretto 50ct Laptop with
Windows 95, second edition.  I have successfully used it on other
Windows computers.

2. Before installing the XML package, I first removed Python 1.5.2, then
removed the TCL/TK that came with 1.5.2, then installed Python 2.0.  I did
not have Python 1.5.2 on the other systems I installed the package on.
I also have an older (don't rememver the exact) version of Winzip on the
Libretto - can the Winzip DLL be the source of my problem?

- Guenter