[XML-SIG] Parsing DTDs

Radestock, Guenter guenter.radestock@sap.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:47:13 +0100

Hello,

in a current project, I want to parse simple DTDs and generate a kind
of recursive descent parser from them.  I have built a few of these
parsers and they work well.  I wanted to use a DTD parser from the
XML utilities to do the DTD parsing.

Looking into it, I have some problems - maybe someone who knows
the utilities better can hint me at what to do next.

1. I have not seen much documentation for the XML package.  Is anybody
currently working on documentation?  Is there any way to extract
documentation from the classes?

2. There is a DTD parser inside xmlproc.  This seems to be pretty closely
coupled to the validating XML parser.  At first sight it looks like it
gets very low level DTD events and generates finite state automata
objects among other things used to validate XML later on.  It looks
like there is no intermediate representation of the DTD that can (or should)
be used for other purposes than validating XML.  Is this correct?  Have
I looked at the wrong piece of code (i.e. is there something in the
4suite package I could use?

Thanks in advance for any help.
- Guenter