[XML-SIG] Specializing DOM exceptions

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:09:50 -0700

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> > On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:
> >
> > > Seriously, after a quick survey of my code, the only place I import Node is in
> > > order to get at the constants.
> >
> > Yup, I noticed this in 4Suite code, and I kept wondering about the
> > rational of doing so, since almost every object you manipulate _is_ a
> > node, and therefore has access to the class attributes.
> > In other words a typical line of code is:
> > "if some_node.nodeType == Node.ELEMENT_NODE :"
> >
> > Is there a difference in performance with:
> > "if some_node.nodeType == some_node.ELEMENT_NODE :" ?
>
> Nope.  It's all about developer's intertia, AKA cutnpasteitis.

Actually there may be a small performace advantage doing it they way it
is done.  Looking it up from the instance it will have to look into
atleast 3 dictionaries to find the value, while looking it up from the
class itself it will only have to look into one dictionary.  (though
this theroy is untested)

Mike