[XML-SIG] UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 problems again

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:18:20 +0100

> > Would you like to look into correcting that?
> >

> Hmm, means upgrading to 2.0, which perhaps I should do.

Ok, I now had a look at it myself; please try the patch attached.
It generates Unicode objects in Python 2, UTF-8 in 1.5.

> The problem is that I use 4dom in some quite heavy zope products,
> and I am unconvinced that python 2.0 and Zope are stable enough for
> production environments, and too different to have split between
> production and development.

I understand the Zope problems are not resolved, yet, so not upgrading
seems still the right thing to do.

> The other part though is making 4Dom pickleable, which was actually
> my next little project, to look at it some more and see where it is
> not pickleable.  Could be simple, someone may already have the
> answer.

I don't know what the state of this is; if you think you can
contribute, just go ahead.

> Having a closer inspection of PyXML 0.6.3, the original memory leak
> from the parser doing it's parsing thing has gone, but there is one
> that exists for just purely making a parser.

Can you provide sample code showing the problem? Perhaps I'm not
seeing it because the Python 2 garbage collector collects the cycles.

Also, did you call xml.dom.ext.ReleaseNode? The DOM is full of cycles;
without a cyclic gc, the only way to get rid of them is to explicitly
release them.

> > > I was using PyXML-1.2, but just tried PyXML-1.3 and the errors still occur.
> >
> > I'm confused. Where did you get PyXML 1.2 from?
> >

> Someone said go get PyXML 1.3 on the 5th January from sourcefourge and I only
> found PyXML 1.2 ..... which has now changed to 1.3 ... and there are
> differences .. I have attached diff PyXML-0.6.2 PyXML-0.6.3 so you can see.

Well, I know well what PyXML 0.6.3 is. I'm just curious as to why you
are calling it 1.3...

Regards,
Martin