[XML-SIG] PyXML 0.6.3 is available

Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:49:49 +0100

> Given this, what is the best way to create RPMs of PyXML and 4Suite
> which coexist? (no overlapping files).

If you are speaking as a Linux distributor now, I think the best
action is to not distribute PyXML 0.6.3 at all, as it does not
cooperate with the current 4Suite release. Instead, I recommend to
wait for 0.6.4, and the next release of 4Suite [as it turns out,
4DOM's xml.dom.ext.reader.Sax won't even use the pyexpat
improvements].

> If the dom directory of PyXML is included (and the one from 4Suite
> thus not included), things like XSLT break. OTOH, PyXML has a couple
> of extra files (minidom, javadom) etc... would these coexist with
> the rest of the directory coming from 4Suite_

If you are just asking as a user who wants to use the current version
of 4Suite and PyXML 0.6.3, then yes, that would be a good
combination. I don't know how many javadom users are out there, so
just including minidom and pulldom might be sufficient. However,
these are strictly necessary in combination with Python 2.0 -
otherwise PyXML would break its contract with Python 2, which is to
offer a proper superset of the Python 2 functionality.

If somebody now wonders why I bothered releasing 0.6.3 at all: I would
not have learned about these problems if I hadn't.

If you really where asking about the long-term co-existance of 4Suite
and PyXML, with regard to the 4DOM overlap: I have good faith that
things will work out to everybody's liking.

Regards,
Martin

(*) To find out more about that question, I just created a survey:
http://sourceforge.net/survey/survey.php?group_id=6473&survey_id=11258