[XML-SIG] build problems with PyXML-0.6.3 on ultra10

Pankaj Gupta pg@fluent.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:15:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> > I downloaded PyXML and tried to setup on my ultra. It seems the location
> > of the files expected in Lib/distutils/sysconfig.py is different from the
> > ones that I have. I have not installed Python in /usr/local, but have it
> > in my home area. The exception which comes is:
> >
> > distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: invalid Python installation:
> > unable to open /usr/local/lib/python2.0/config/Makefile (No such file or
> > directory)
>
> Can you give a details description of how you installed Python (what
> commands in what sequence), and how you attempted to installed PyXML?
> Is there a Python installation in /usr/local/lib/python2.0? If so,
> which python binary did you use for setup.py?

I am not sure how I installed python. I think I just untarred and
gunzipped the distribution and invoked the Makefile after configuring. I
have the python directory in ~/Python-2.0

As for PyXML, I downloaded it in ~/Python-2.0 and after untarring it, I
used:
	'python setup.py install'
in ~/Python-2.0/PyXML-0.6.3 directory.

I donot have anyother python loaded anywhere in the /usr/local area. I
found this path was more or less hardcoded for posix systems in
~/Python-2.0/Lib/distutils/sysconfig.py. Even changing this path didn't
help as I could not find any config sub-directory in Python-2.0.

Thanks,
Pankaj