[XML-SIG] Re: Using Installer with PyXML

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:56:58 +0100

> I have not found the xml-sig documentation, or the python library
> reference, to be too helpful for someone new to xml processing, so I
> bought Sean McGrath's book "XML Processing with Python" and have
> found that to be *very* helpful.

I'm glad to hear this. The PyXML documentation is certainly not
targetted at people new to XML at all; it is mostly for people that
know XML, and want to learn about XML processing in Python.

BTW, did you have a look at the PyXML tutorial as well?

> But his examples, which I was testing, use references to pyexpat.

Not surprising; the wrapper module was created just before the Python
2.0 release.

> I tested your suggestion of using "from xml.parsers import expat"
> vs.  "import pyexpat" and that works fine, but I'm not sure what the
> benefit of using that form is.

To get independent from the location of the pyexpat module. If you say
"import pyexpat", and you use PyXML, you still won't get the PyXML
version of that module - this lives in xml.parsers.pyexpat.

Regards,
Martin