[XML-SIG] Newbie confused by output ...

23 Jan 2001 10:05:35 +0100

* Richard Anthony Hein

| When I finally found some documentation at
| http://velocity.activestate.com/docs/ActivePython/lib/expat-example.html,
| I tried the example for expat (actually used pyexpat and expat),

There is documentation in the standard library documentation on
python.org, which you can download and also browse online.

| So what are all of those u's doing in there,

The u prefix means that the string is a Unicode string. In most cases,
this is no different from an ordinary string, except that it can
contain any Unicode character.

| and why is there a 1 printed?

The 1 is the return value of your call to Parse(), meaning that there
were no errors.

| Also, perhaps you can point me towards some helpful tutorials for
| getting up to speed with XML processing in Python?

The standard documentation is the only one I know of.

There is at least one Python XML book listed at

which may be worth looking at.

--Lars M.