[XML-SIG] problem with empty namespace uri

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:53:09 +0100 (CET)

Uche Ogbuji writes:
 > > Uche Ogbuji writes:
 > >  > Hmm.  I introduced this behavior while fixing another drv_pyexpat bug (default
 > >  > namespaces on unprefixes attributes were being returned as the namespace of
 > >  > the element).
 > > Is this not correct?
 > >
 > > I interpreted the following phrase from the namespace spec
 > > in this direction:
 > >
 > >    "Note that default namespaces do not apply directly to attributes."
 >
 > Yes.  And I fixed the driver to meet this.  Prior to my fix, drv_xmlproc was
 > returning the default namespace on unprefixed attributes in violation of XML
 > Namespaces 1.0, and in particular, the portion you quoted.  Now it returns
 > None, or after I check in Alexandre's patch, "".
I interpret this part differently:

  Default namespaces do not apply directly to attributes but
  indirectly via the element they belong to.

  If a have:

     <ns:elem attr=val ...>

  then (at least semantically), "attr" delongs to the same
  namespace as "elem" (the namespace associated with "ns").

I am not sure, whether the application or the parser should make
this namespace association for attributes.

Dieter