[XML-SIG] problem with empty namespace uri

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:50:42 -0700

> * Alexandre Fayolle
> |
> | If I build a DOM using the default non-validating parser, attributes
> | that have no namespace are available by specifying an empty string
> | as the namespace uri parameter to getAttributeNS().
>
> Actually, I think this is something that is underspecified in both SAX
> and the DOM. We need to decide how to represent no namespace URI both
> in SAX and the DOM. At the moment I think both different SAX drivers
> and 4DOM/minidom disagree here. 4DOM/minidom also disagree in other
> parts of their Attributes implementations.
>
> I have, unfortunately, not had time to dig sufficiently into this to
> know the exact state of things, but please don't start changing the
> code until we have agreed what is the correct behaviour.

Will hold off.  Too bad we don't have a dictator to Pronounce (if we were
voting for one, I'd probably vote for Martin), but perhaps we're better off
that way.

If the tide continues in favor of None in the next few days, we'll consider it
a Group Pronouncement.

> My opinion is that names that have no namespace URI should be
> represented using None rather than "".

+1 for None