[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] xsl:nclude-and-transform

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:27:12 -0600

Mike Olson wrote:

> I must be missing the problem statement.  From what I gathered, you want
> to insert company.xml into your docbook src, but translate xompany.xml
> into docbook before doing so.  Is that correct?

That's not at all what I read, but I'll let Nico speak for himself.

> > > As you understood, I'm missing a <xsl:include-after-transform/> tag...

This is mostly the question I was answering.  Note *after*, not
*before*.

> > Failing that, and if you don't mind minimal XSLT additions, the best solution
> > is probably
> >
> > <xsl:template match="affiliation">
> >   <xsl:variable name="included">
> >     <xsl:value-of select="document('company.xml')"/>
> >   </xsl:variable>
> >   <xsl:copy>
> >     <xsl:copy-of select="$included"/>
> >   </xsl:copy>
> > </xsl:template>
> >
> > Does all this help?
>
> I guess I also don't see how this is less flexible then using XInclude
> in the source document.  The only way this is a bit more flexible is
> that you could parameterize "company.xml".

No.  You can also parameterize when and where you do the inclusions, as
well as their semantics.

Most importantly, your Docbook stylesheet needn't know anything about
company.xml's structure.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management