[XML-SIG] file urls in urllib

Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:04:42 +0100

> > > file://C:/autoexec.bat
> >
> > This mapping skips a slash for the hostname.

Oops, yes, it should be file:///C:/autoexec.bat

> exactly. if file:///C:/autoexec.bat is correct then
> file:////etc/passwd should be

No. The <path> is build as a sequence of directories, with a slash
between each directory, and a slash between the host and the first
hierarchy component (C: in the windows case). On Unix, the first
hierarchy component is etc, so it should use only three slashes.

> as i mentioned, this is clarified in the direction of the slash
> being a syntactic separator only in the nfs url rfc2224.

Looking at rfc2224, I can find no such clarification. It mentions that
the first slash is a syntactic separator in the nfs url; how does that
effect the file url?

Regards,
Martin