[XML-SIG] Metadata in XBEL

Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:15:48 +0200

>   Here's the problem:  What we want is to be able to say
> "ANY-and-we-really-mean-it", not ANY as defined in the DTD language.
> That definition tells us that ANY means anything *defined in the DTD*,
> which is pretty limited -- this is an inherited SGML wart.  I don't
> know how to express what we actually want in the DTD language; if
> anyone can tell me, I'd be glad to change the DTD for revision 1.1.

I think you are right: it cannot be expressed. Looking at the four
options of "Element Valid", none of them applies.

> Martin v. Loewis writes:
>  > That, of course, would mean that a version 1.1 of XBEL needs to be
>  > issued, so perhaps this is the time to think about other pending
>  > improvements.
>
>   I'm very happy with doing this.  In fact, I've made a couple of
> changes to the DTD and documentation based on comments from David
> Faure (from the Konqueror development group).

So I'd reverse my previous comment: *If* a 1.1 release of XBEL is
issued for good reasons, it should probably show ANY as the element
contents, to avoid confusion; and the documentation should be clear
that any well-formed element (plus text) is accepted as contents

>   Martin, were there other warts you were thinking about?

None specifically. I was suggesting that any missing features that
came up during in the Galeon project should be worth consideration.

Regards,
Martin