[XML-SIG] PyTREX as xml.schema.trex?

Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:50:55 +0200

> Have people typically maintained a parallel CVS and done separate releases
> for a while? i.e. should I make changes to both pytrex/pytrex.py and
> /xml/xml/schema/trex.py and continue to do releases from pytrex?

People maintain stuff in parallel all the time. If you don't want to
lose your hair over it, you better use CVS tags to indicate when
you've copied changes from one tree to the other. That lets you find
out whether there have been independent or overlapping changes in
either tree.

Specifically for PyXML, atleast the following pieces had different
homes at some time:
- xmlproc (Lars gave up his own CVS tree just now)
- 4DOM (has been long in the Fourthought CVS)
- pyexpat.c (primarily lives in Python CVS, with copies in PyXML and
  Zope)
- expat (lives in expat CVS, and is updated in PyXML only occasionally)
- xml-howto.tex/xml-ref.tex (lives primarily in the Python HOWTOs)
- the core of xml.sax, and minidom (maintain in Python CVS, copied
  into PyXML - sometimes vice versa)

As for what you should do with PyTREX: that's your own decision. If
you expect to move on a fast pace, I recommend to keep your own
project - it might take some time until PyXML 0.7 is released. There
is then no need to commit every single change into the PyXML copy as
well. I'll give advance warning of a 0.7 release (likely after the
4XSLT issues have been settled).

Regards,
Martin