[XML-SIG] Metadata in XBEL

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:21:47 -0500 (EST)

Uche Ogbuji writes:
 > Yes.  I actually implemented an off-line merge earlier, but I think a
 > standardized merge indicator would be useful.

  To make this meaningful, do we need more discussion of what "merge"
means, or should this be left entirely to clients?  I'm inclined to
think we need a good description of the expected range of application
and motivation, and the rest can be left to specific applications.

 > That should instead be spelled
 >
 > <merge include:href="file:/path/to/bookmarks/collection.xml"/>
 >
 > Or such, so that processors that don't have first-class merge support can
 > still include the other file through xinclude.

  This syntax seems reasonable; I presume we'll want to include some
way to mark multiple <merge/> sources with priorities to determine
"who wins" in the presence of multiple sources for a bookmark; some
applications will present all versions of a bookmark and others will
only want to present one but make the determination based on the
bookmark data.
  I presume this <merge/> element should be allowed in both <xbel/>
and <folder/> elements.  Do we want to do this in XBEL 1.1 or wait for
more experiance before adding it?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>