[XML-SIG] Curiouser and curiouser

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 09 May 2001 08:13:42 -0600

> > The camps appear to be roughly:
>
> Interesting analysis, thanks!
>
> > * Just use SOAP as-is and rubber-stamp WSDL and UDDI to boot ...
> > * Take the good parts of SOAP, mix in a bit of "transactions" here, a dash of PKI there, a smidgen of EAI voodoo, and...
>
> These aren't mutually exclusive, since #2 is presumably a subset of #1.

No.  Some want to change SOAP, which is different from #1.  Also while the #1
folks want to call it a day when WSDL and UDDI are stabilized, the #2 folk
want much more.

> > * This is EDI + Internet transport + XML payload + semantic Web, folks: quit reinventing wheels (the camp I occupy)
>
> I got a bit lost in your sentence syntax.  Can you explain what you mean
> here?  Tnx.

Basically:

* take the business process, internationalization and authority-of-record work
hammered out in EDI.
* Use Internet transport (HTTP/SMTP) rather than VAN/BBS, Use XML as the
payload for human readibility, inexpensive app integration and extensibility
* Use a unified structured meta-data model for decription and modeling.

I think this is the most attainable and viable approach to XML-based business
transactions, mostly because it avoids reinventing wheels as much as possible.