[XML-SIG] clarification request about Sax/Sax2 mappings

09 May 2001 19:19:00 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| A good DOM builder should accept calls to both startElement and
| startElementNS. It should also require applications to be consistent
| and only use one or the other throughout a single document.

* Fred L. Drake, Jr.

| This is not clear; does the DOM specification indicate that only one
| or the other can be used? I think it seems very careful to indicate
| that both can be used, as long as expectations are limited.

You are right about that, but SAX makes it clear that you must
consistently use either startElement or startElementNS, so this is a
SAX 2.0 issue more than a DOM issue. I wouldn't get too upset if the
DOM doesn't check this, though.

--Lars M.