[XML-SIG] Problems with 'multiple definitions'

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sun, 20 May 2001 10:17:20 +0100

Hi all,
This isn't strictly an XML thing, but as the packages I really want to use
are the XML ones, I thought the group might be able to help.

I'm working with python2.1 and MacOS X and compiling up packages such as
PyXML and 4Suite (although this happens with packages such as MySQLdb
too).

I use the standard procedure to build and install these packages, ie

% python2.1 setup.py install

But, when I test out 4Suite (for example), ie

% cd /usr/local/doc/4Suite-0.11/test_suite/4XSLT
% python2.1 basic_test.py

I get this;

dyld: python2.1 multiple definitions of symbol _XML_DefaultCurrent
python2.1 definition of _XML_DefaultCurrent
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ft/Lib/cDomlettec.so definition
of _XML_DefaultCurrent

I get similar errors with other packages such as PyXML and MySQLdb.

I've managed to install MySQLdb by stripping out an offending symbol
from libmysqlclient.a, but surely there's a cleaner way of doing this?
Is there some compiler flag I can set that gets around this?

The python is a pre-compiled version from http://tony.lownds.com/macosx/

any help would be appreciated, this effectively stops me using any
compiled modules under MacOS X (which is, in almost all other respects,
excellent!).

TIA
tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140