[XML-SIG] Re: [4suite] Newbie install problems

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 00:16:08 -0700

"J." wrote:

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> >
> > "J." wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just installed the foursuite rpm for Python 2.1
> > > (4Suite-0.11.1-py2.1.i686.rpm) on a Mandrake 8.0
> > > installation, and when I try to run the test suite I get a failed import
> > >
> > > from xml.FtCore import FtException
> > >
> > > Sure enough, grepping around I can't find anything named FtCore in the
> > > whole /usr/lib/python2.1
> > > heirarchy. Have I hosed the installation somehow? Is this a name
> > > collision with the standard xml
> > > package?
> >
> > You need to install PyXXML 0.6.6, which is a prerequisite.
>
> Hmm, That's not what the FAQ says at 4suite.org .

The FAQ is out of date.  We're working on it.

> Also, I notice that the sourceforge site for PyXML has RPMs for 1.5.2
> and 2.0 but not for 2.1. If I install the 2.0 RPM, then naively copying
> 'cp -a' the _xmlplus directory from my 2.0 site-packages to the 2.1
> site-packages doesn't work either, but I probably should have known
> better anyways. :)

This shouldn't be so (therefore I'm cc'ing the XML-SIG).

However, it's so easy to build, I think you shouldn't worry about the
lack of an RPM.  Just get the source package, untar it and run "python
setup.py install".  That's all.

4Suite is just as easy to install.

> I'm also puzzled because I thought that the release
> notes on python.org for the 2.1 release said that PyXML was mostly
> merged into the standard xml package. Anyhow, I'm not trying to be a
> pain, just trying to get this running. Any help at all would be greatly
> appreciated.

Certainly not a pain.

The expat parser, the SAX package and minidom did get merged into Python
2.0, but there are other things 4Suite needs such as the boolean
extension and 4DOM.

Good luck.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management