[XML-SIG] Re: python SAX API

Juergen Hermann Juergen Hermann" <jhe@webde-ag.de
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:36:48 +0100

On 16 Nov 2001 17:11:04 +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>What mess? Please be specific.

Different version of docs in different cvs branches, with different
implementations of parsers on top of that. It's a little mess, but a mess. ;)

>We should be very careful not to try to be too smart here; that
>generally leads to much more subtle problems. Can you explain in
>detail what you think the problem is (because I don't know that there
>is one)? Once you've done that we can try to find some solution.

The problem is that we break the rule of least surprise constantly. Even I as
a developer involved with (but not 100% immersed into) the PyXML code was
unsure about things are supposed to work. Now imagine the poor little XML-
newbie developer out there...

Get me right, this is not blame-allocation in any way, but "let's make things
better for our users".

Given Alexandre's msg, I vote for "raise better exceptions and give driver
writers a guide how to do that" regarding the namespace problem (so no
intelligently fixing things, but intelligently reporting things). Also, we
need SAX unit tests that check on things like "None returned for empty
namespace" and things like that.