[XML-SIG] gray areas in Python SAX API

19 Nov 2001 14:56:12 +0100

* Alexandre Fayolle

| My understanding is that the startElement/startElementNS was for
| wackward compatibility with SAX 1.0 application,

Actually, that wasn't the reason at all. We were trying to make use of
tuples for representing namespace name, but it was difficult to get
all the use scenarios to come out right. After a lot of back and forth
Paul Prescod suggested that we split startElement and endElement, and
that's what we decided to do in the end.

The benefit for newbies, that all the use scenarios came out right,
and that you didn't have to suffer for the complexity of namespaces if
you didn't use them were the main reasons for going that way. We broke
backwards compatibility anyway, so that just wasn't a reason, at least
not in my mind.

--Lars M.