[XML-SIG] drv_jython

Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:31:37 +0200

> I finally got round to making a SAX 2.0 driver for the Java SAX 2.0
> parsers, for use in Jython. It is not yet complete, but I did use it
> successfully last night to convert a 1.2 MB XML file into a topic map.
>
> Should I check it into the main branch, or should I put it on some
> other branch?

Go ahead and check it into the mainline. PyXML 0.7.0 will have further
changes that will go into the wild with it for the first time, and
we can always issue 0.7.1 if we get complaints.

> Also, I guess we should use different lists of default parsers in
> Jython and CPython.
>
>   Jython: drv_jython, drv_xmlproc
>   CPython: expatreader, drv_xmlproc
>
> This change is more risky, in that it will make people suddenly start
> using drv_jython, before it has been properly tested. Comments?

Well, PyXML will already look for the python.xml.sax.parser property
to select a parser. If using the Java SAX code causes troubles, we
already know a work-around.

I'm not sure drv_jython is a good name, though. Shouldn't it rather
indicate the specific Java API you are using, like jaxml (or what its
name is)? Or perhaps even the specific parser that you use?

Regards,
Martin