[XML-SIG] 4XSLT Performance Problems with Large Files

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@home.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 16:08:48 -0400

[Brian Quinlan]

> Are there any features of 4xslt that you need that aren't available in
> other XSLT processors? Or is it just the convenience of doing XSLT
> transformations directly in Python that leads you to want to use 4xslt?

Sort of.  This transformation is actually being done by Saxon, so I'm not
directly affected so far.  The same system runs Zope to interact with users,
and I do use 4xslt via a Zope external method, although the data isn't so
massive.  I still need good performance there, but it should be easier to
get a reasonable response time.

Mainly, I don't want to start a separate process each time a user runs a
transform.

> If it is the later, Python buildings for Xalan, the Apache groups XSLT
> processor, are available (the Windows release has the most convenient
> installation process, if you have a choice of platforms to experiment
> with):
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=28142&release_id=4
> 7388

I haven't used Xalan for a while and have been meaning to get the latest
versoin to try on this.  The Python binding might be good to try.  Thanks.

Cheers,

Tom P