[XML-SIG] 4XSLT Performance Problems with Large Files

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:00:37 +0200 (CEST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:

 > * Dieter Maurer
 > |
 > |   My observation seems to indicate that "saxon" needs most of
 > |   its time with startup (reading the DocBook stylesheets).
 > |   The document size seems to be almost irrelevant. It takes
 > |   about the same time to transform a 10 kB document than a
 > |   several hundred kB document.
 >
 > Do you have '<!DOCTYPE' declarations in your documents? If so, that
 > may be part of the problem. The DocBook DTDs are huge, and take quite
 > a while to parse. Of course, so are the stylesheets, but removing the
 > DTD reference may help somewhat, at least.
 >
 > I've had good experiences with using xt instead, which uses xp, which
 > doesn't read the DTD at all.
 >
 > I've had even better experience with writing my own stylesheets and
 > not using DTD references at all. :-)
Thank you for your comment.

Yes, they have "<!DOCTYPE" declarations. Nevertheless, I am very
satisfied with the "saxon" performance. The small documents
only arise in tests and slightly higher processing times are not relevant.

Dieter