[XML-SIG] pyexpat problem

James Haefner jhaefner@biology.usu.edu
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:58:32 -0600

Hi
I'm not a member of this list yet, but I hope you'll help anyway, or direct me
to a source.

I have RedHat 7.2 and need to upgrade printconf, but am having problems with
python2.2 installation. My setup can not find "pyexpat".  Unfortunately, I am
quite ignorant of python.  Here is what I have, all taken from recent rpms:

$ rpm -q printconf
printconf-0.3.61-4.1
$ rpm -q printconf-gui
printconf-gui-0.3.61-4.1
$ rpm -q PyXML
PyXML-0.7.1-4

The error from printconf-gui is:

# printconf-gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/sbin/printconf-gui", line 7, in ?
     import printconf_gui
   File "/usr/share/printconf/util/printconf_gui.py", line 40, in ?
     from printconf_conf import *
   File "/usr/share/printconf/util/printconf_conf.py", line 81, in ?
     from xml.utils import qp_xml
   File
"/usr/src/build/121260-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/utils/qp_xml.py",
line 23, in ?
ImportError: cannot import name pyexpat

The last path printed does not exist, but
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/utils/qp_xml.py

does exit. Also I have installed something called

/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so

also

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/drivers/drv_pyexpat.py

It looks to me that I have not installed python correctly (other python code
fails).  Is it true that simply installing the pyxml rpm is insufficient?  I can
find no xml_setup.py file.  Is there a tutorial for using python modules
installed via rpm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if it were sent directly to me, I
would be sure not to miss it.  Thanks in advance.  If there is a FAQ for this
error, I haven't found it.

Jim Haefner

--
James W. Haefner             Email: jhaefner@biology.usu.edu
Dept Biology/Ecology Center  Voice: 435-797-3553