[XML-SIG] Element.localName, Attr.localName

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:30:38 -0600

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > >
> > > Martin v. Loewis writes:
> > >  > > <doc xmlns:a="http://xml.python.org/a"
> > >  > >      xmlns:A="http://xml.python.org/a"
> > >  > >      xmlns:b="http://xml.python.org/b"
> > >  > >      a:a="a" b:b="b"
> > >  > >      />
> > >  > >
> > >  > > This is just XML 1.0, no namespaces!
> > >  >
> > >  > Why do you say that this document has no namespaces? It looks to me
> > >  > like it has!
> > >
> > > Because I've said this is only an XML 1.0 document only; it happens to
> > > attributes that would be namespace declarations and prefixes if
> > > namespace processing were active, but it isn't.
> >
> > Umm.  Not so fast.  This document is not XML 1.0 well-formed because attribute
> > names starting with "xml" are reserved.
>
> Bzzt. Names starting with "xml" are reserved, yes, but this is a semantic
> reservation ("don't use it unless it's for the purpose we say it's for), not a
> well-formedness constraint.

OK, you are right on the technicality (I would have jabbed you with the same
ice pick ;-)  ).  But I don't think it changes the practical discussion.  The
semantic restriction is fully in place because minidom is namespace-aware,
which means that it is meaningless to say that that Fred's document is not an
XML namespace document.  I think this is what Martin has been sayig in his
cryptic way  :-).

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC