[XML-SIG] Problem Installing PyXML

landauer@got.net landauer@got.net
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:35:45 -0700

Quoting "Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org>:
>  > That refers to an existing source file on his system. Note that 'Lib' is
>  > capitalized, which of course is unusual for a UNIX system.
>
> It is normal for a Python being run from a build area; this looks like
> a Python 2.2.1 unpacked from the .tgz source archive.  The distutils
> included in Python 2.2.1 did not support building C extensions using a
> Python which had not been installed.

Indeed, that appears to be what my problem is.  I built Python
months ago, made a link in my bin directory, and forgot that I
had never actually installed it.  (I'm on a big, old-fashioned
time-sharing Solaris system here, where I can't write into
/usr/local without filling out some online forms.)

Thanks for clearing it up.  Maybe if the timing is such that it will
be a while before 2.3 comes out, the PyXML README could be amended to
say

   "The only requirements for installing the package are Python
    2.0 or later, and a C compiler.   Note that the Python must
    actually be an INSTALLed python, rather than one that is being
    used directly from Python's build area.  This release has been
    tested with Python 2.x"

perhaps with a more precise rendering of "2.x" at the end there...

Thanks,
 -- Doug

-=-=-=-

food. shelter. clothing. net.         Got.net - The Internet Connection, Inc