[XML-SIG] PrettyPrint

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:53:21 -0700

> Hello,
>
> I've got the following problem:
> If I save the following xml file using PrettyPrint()
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
>  I get:
> ##################PrettyPrint
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> <doc>
>   <raw>
>     <![CDATA[foo]]>
>   </raw>
>   <raw>bar</raw>
> </doc>
>
> Now next time I read in the xml, a new text node is created in the DOM tree
> due to the indent an newline behind the first <raw> element.
>
> I could use Print since it doesn't add any additional data. But Pretty is more
> pretty ;-)
>
> I'm not sure about ignorable whitespace in xml, but I think, it is not
> correct.
>
> Shouldn't the output be ...<raw><![CDATA[foo]]></raw>...?

No.  A pretty printer is expected to produce output that may have different
white space usage from a plain printer.  This is the whole point of a pretty
printer.  If you don't like that effect, then you should use a plain printer.
Can't really have it both ways unless you design a pretty printer specific to
your own format.

I think you may be able to get closer to what you want with

PrettyPrint(root, preserveElements=["raw"])

But I'm not sure that it gets you all the way.

A Python & XML Companion - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html
XML class warfare - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6965
MusicBrainz  metadata - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-thi
nk14.html