[XML-SIG] WSDL library ?

paul@boddie.net paul@boddie.net
14 Feb 2002 17:43:13 -0000

Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com> wrote:

[...]

I'm in well over my head, here, but...

>SOAP RPC Encoding can't transport arbitrary XML, agreed.  But SOAP
>itself can.  That's a good thing.  If I want to transmit legally binding
>information over the Internet, then SOAP's ability to include an XML
>DSIG (as either a header element, or using doc/literal style in the
>body) is way cool; XML-RPC can't do that.

When asked to investigate SOAP, one of the apparent advantages I found for
those who have already invested in XML data exchange representations is that it
seems to be possible to just drop the usual XML instances inside a SOAP
envelope and use largely the tools you already have to deconstruct those
instances later. For people who aren't strictly interested in converting their
data to RPC-like calls, SOAP provides the messaging infrastructure, in theory,
whilst the interpretation of the data is left to the application.

Personally, I think the obsession with making everything an object, so that one
can receive RPC messages or access relational databases by pulling objects out
of a hat and calling setFamilyName on them (for example), is somewhat tiresome
and not always particularly necessary. In other words, I think that there are
benefits to just receiving an XML document, rather than having to stuff such
data into an object hierarchy.

Paul

--
Get your firstname@lastname email at http://Nameplanet.com/?su