[XML-SIG] WSDL library ?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
15 Feb 2002 02:22:35 +0100

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:

> I would be horrified if a marshaller took a complex data structure
> of mine, chased down all pointers it contained and proceeded to
> marshal the end-points, merrily inventing it's own little analogue
> of my heap in the message payload.  Sounds like a recipe for nasty
> surprises, not least in the area of performance.

In older approaches to the same problem (like OSF/RPC), it actually is
surprisingly and non-obvious. In CORBA, this is really type-safe: You
declare, in IDL, what fields to follow, and those fields must then be
of an IDL-declared type again. That will normally give you a quite
regular data structure, and by no means "pull out" the entire object
graph that you may have on the client.

Regards,
Martin