[XML-SIG] a package for minidom

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
20 Feb 2002 23:52:30 +0100

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

> As the support code for minidom grows (because additional DOM features
> are implemented), it becomes increasingly valuable to allow the
> implementation to be placed in more than one module simply to make the
> code easier to manage.

Is that the only rationale? I fear overstructuring, and I'd like to
avoid increasing the number of package names that users need to be
aware of.

> I propose creating a new package, xml.dom.mini, which contains the
> following modules to start with:
>
>     xml.dom.mini.corexml       # the current/enhanced xml.dom.minidom

This could continue to live in xml.dom.minidom, and needs to anyway,
for compatibility.

>     xml.dom.mini.traversal     # the current xml.dom.minitraversal

This also needs to live in minitraversal, for compatibility.

>     xml.dom.mini.loadsave      # the basic interface for Load/Save
>     xml.dom.mini.expatbuilder  # very tedious Expat-specific code

I'd put those in xml.dom.expatreader, or some such, parallel to
xml.sax.expatreader. I certainly hope that the expatbuilder goes into
Python proper eventually, and I see no point in draining xml.dom to a
single mini subpackage in Python core.

Having thirty some modules in xml.dom does not scare me; Python's Lib
directory has roughly 170 modules in a single directly, yet nobody is
scared.

Regards,
Martin