[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

Daniel Veillard veillard@redhat.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:40:42 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 03:29:51PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 02:26:49PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > > I've downloaded both the libxml2 and libxslt libs, but it's
> > > not clear to me where to find the Python extensions (there's
> > > some mention of them in libxslt, but nothing in libxml2).
> >
> >   In the python subdir in the source tree
>
> I found that only in libxslt... not in libxml2. Am I missing
> something, or is this intended ?

  Seems you need to get a recent libxml2 release. 2.4.16 for example
ftp://xmlsoft.org/

> It's all here:
>
> 	http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/doc/
>
> Note that distutils has its own way of finding the Python
> paths.
>
> Providing paths to various files needed from libxml2/xslt
> can be done by either automatic lookup or customizing
> the build_ext command.
>
> If you can provide the readily built .c and .h files,
> it should be no problem creating a setup.py files which
> then does the rest.
>
> If you need help, just ask (preferrably on the
> distutils-sig or me directly).

  Okay I will look at it and contact off-line of needed.

> One other thing which I couldn't find on the web-site:
> what licenses are imposed on libxml2/xslt and the Python
> bindings.
>
> The .tar.gz files contain the GPL COPYING file and
> the LGPL COPYING.LIB file but the various other
> (source) files don't mention any license at all
> and the README also points to a W3C license... a bit
> confusing :-)

  Fixed.
  Look at the recent releases, and the web pages. Everything has
be switched under the MIT Licence in 2.4.14/1.0.11
    http://xmlsoft.org/news.html
    http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/news.html

Daniel