[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

Daniel Veillard veillard@redhat.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:35:12 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 07:02:20PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >  This seems related to something like:
> >    module A need shared lib l1
> >    module B need module A and shared lib l2
> >    shared lib l2 depends on a symbol from l1
>
> This is a bad thing for portability. You should never have
> shared libs depend on each other -- dynamic linking will simply
> screw up completely...

  Come'on zlib is shared and used for example by libpng. And if your
graphic library need it you would have to have a special version
of libpng statically compiled against zlib, nahhh you cannot impose
this, on any platform !

> Probably in the dynamic linker of the OS. Also, on some
> platforms each DLL uses it's own heap for memory
> allocation.
>
> Why not simply make l1 and l2 a single shared lib ?

  No I'm not gonna ship with library statically linked inside my
shared library. The linker should be fixed instead.

Daniel